Dr. Martin McCain recently served on the jury for the International Trombone Association’s Donald Yaxley Bass Trombone Solo Competition at the International Trombone Festival along with Jim Nova of the Pittsburgh Symphony and Tomer Maschkowski of the Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin. He performed on Rochester’s WXXI “Backstage Pass” live broadcast with the Gateways Music Festival Orchestra in Kodak Hall of the Eastman Theatre. Additionally, McCain has been added to the trombone artist roster for Boston’s S.E. Shires Company.
- Winner of Contemporary Record Society Performing Artist Recording Grant – Broomhall, PA
- Winner of Global Music Award Silver Medal for live performance of “Desert Waves, Wilderness of Water” by Richard Hall – La Jolla, CA
- Recording of “Radiant Blues” by Charles Booker broadcast on Hawaii Public Radio
- Adjudicator for University Interscholastic League – Texas State Solo and Ensemble Competition – Austin, Texas
- Publication of Texas State Saxophone Studio Facebook Page
- Published International Feature Interview with www.saxplaying.com (the largest community of saxophone players in the world) – Madrid, Spain
- Pending Publication: International Article, “How to Produce a Classical Saxophone Tone” by www.saxplaying.com – Madrid, Spain
- Pending Publication: International Article, “Marcel Mule – Le Maitre” by www.saxplaying.com – Madrid, Spain
His students’ accomplishments include:
- Erik Gamez was hired by San Antonio Independent School District to teach summer music camp and hired as a visual and music tech at O’Connor High School in Helotes, Texas.
- Edgar Blandon was hired as substitute saxophonist with Regents School of Austin Band on their spring concert.
- Peyton Grover is the recipient of the TMEA Outstanding College Music Educator Award, Bravo Award for Outstanding Senior in Instrumental Music Education, and Bravo Award for Outstanding Performance in Wind and Percussion Studies. He toured this summer as Brass Staff the for the Academy Drum and Bugle Corps – Tempe, Arizona. He was hired as Assistant Director of Bands at Bastrop High School. (pictured far left)
- Chris Martinez was inducted into Pi Kappa Lambda National Music Honor Society. He toured this summer as Drum Major for The Cadets – Allentown, Pennsylvania.
- Lauren Gordon performed with the World Youth Wind Orchestra project in Schladming, Austria. The World Youth Wind Orchestra brings together musicians from around the world to perform wind ensemble repertoire at the highest level. Students work with internationally renowned conductors, composers, and soloists during an intense musical week in Schladming. (pictured front and center)
- Kolten Bippert won an audition this summer to perform on tour with the Academy Drum and Bugle Corps – Tempe, Arizona.