Todd Oxford has recently engaged in the following activities:
▪ Performer and Artist/endorser at the National Association of Music Merchants Show 2017 in Anaheim, California with Eastman Saxophones. NAMM is one of the largest music trade shows in the world.
▪ Adjudicator for 2017 ENKOR International Chamber Music Competition, Düsseldorf, Germany, and the MTNA/TMTA Solo and Chamber Music Competition at Stephen F Austin State University in Nacogdoches
▪ Soloist at Austin Presbyterian Seminary, Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church in Austin, and Highland Park Baptist Church in Austin
Texas State’s small trumpet ensemble was just named semi-finalists in the prestigious National Trumpet Competition to be held in Denver in March. Other schools in the semi-finals include the University of Michigan, Boston University, McGill University, Cincinnati Conservatory, Indiana University, New England Conservatory and the University of Miami. The group, Connor Towns, Esteban Borjas, Scott Crum, Aaron Rachui, Michael Lehman, and Jason Martinez, will perform an arrangement by Connor of Jennifer Higdon’s Sky Quartet. Connor, who studies composition with Dr. Michael Ippolito, recently found out that Ms. Higdon is going to publish his arrangement.
The Provost has reminded us all of Our Shared Values as a university community, which include valuing . . .
• “A diversity of people and ideas, a spirit of inclusiveness, a global perspective, and a sense of community as essential conditions for campus life”
• “The cultivation of character and the modeling of honesty, integrity, compassion, fairness, respect, and ethical behavior, both in the classroom and beyond”
• “Engaged teaching and learning based on dialogue, student involvement, and the free exchange of ideas”
• “A commitment to public service as a resource for personal, educational, cultural, and economic development”
• “Thoughtful reflection, collaboration, planning”
Teaching is not so much imparting knowledge as it is facilitating learning. A teacher is an enabling coach on the sideline; all the on-field action is by the student, the learner.
From a veteran coach, here is a simple but effective playbook. Each rule is a command to action.
Rule 1: SHOW UP.
Rule 2: PAY ATTENTION.
Rule 3: DO THE WORK.
Rule 4: JOIN A TEAM.
Rule 5: PLAN AHEAD.
Rule 6: BECOME A LEADER.
Rule 7: ENCOURAGE OTHERS.
Feel free to quote and pass them on!
Texas State School of Music jazz faculty Bennett Wood, Utah Hamrick, Russell Scanlon, former faculty John Mills, and Hank Hehmsoth convened in New Orleans at the JEN Jazz Education Network convention. Hehmsoth and Scanlon were featured performers with Times Ten, directed by John Mills, on January 7.
The Texas State Symphony Orchestra under the direction of Dr. Carolyn Watson was given an Honorable Mention in the 2016 Ernst Bacon Award for the Performance of American Music (College/University) Division for their role in the premiere of the opera, Lady Bird.